Saturday, August 17, 2013

Crab Apple Butter!!

It's that time of year again! My aunt's oldest friend (my aunt is in her 60's and she's known Pam since they were in the 2nd grade) let us know that it was time to pick crab apples at her dad's house. We met my aunt & Pam over there and started picking.


Chris and I walked away with 2 buckets full! If I had to guess, I would say it waa close to 20 lbs of crab apples!

Our first batch of crab apple butter was underway layter that evening. If you haven't had crab apple butter before, it tastes like Christmas in a jar!

The recipe we use is out of the Ball Canning Book, with a few adjustments to our tastes.

After cutting 6 lbs of crab apples, they went into my trusty dutch oven with some apple cider for a good bake at 425 degrees.


Once they were done, we put them through the food mill...


And then back into a newly-cleaned dutch oven with the remaining ingredients and it was time to stir... And stir... And stir.... And stir...


Until it was finally jar & bath time!!


I will admit, this batch came out with a strong citrus taste (orange zest & the juice of one orange added), but it tastes really good! I can't wait to have somw of this with waffles and some whipped cream!







No comments:

Post a Comment