Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Strawberry Mango Jam

When Summer is here, we like to make a lot of jam with fresh berries and fruit. Unfortunately for this batch, we didn't have any fresh local fruit for what I wanted to make. Instead, we got mangos from Costco and the strawberries we had were from my neighbor's mom's garden last year.

First off, I thought this was going to be my first jam fail. The way the mango looked didn't settle well with me (even though I used my food processor to squish it up). It looked really pulpy to me. My husband convinced me to keep going. Once I added the strawberries in, the mixture turned this pretty orange color. It wasn't quite what I was expecting either, but I cooked away. Finally, after adding all of the ingredients and cooking it for a good half hour, it turned a really pretty candy red color.

The taste came out really good. My husband loves it. He's already anticipating what he's going to put it on because he thinks it's too good for peanut butter and jelly! ha!

The recipe I used for this jam can be found here: http://cody-simplyhomemade.blogspot.com/2011/07/mango-strawberry-jam_14.html

This is the jam prior to the bath. My phone was on the charger the whole time we were cooking, so I didn't get pictures of it when it was bright orange, but since we are making a second batch soon, I will take some.


The picture is a bit blurry because my husband and I were doing the "Getting the jars ready for the bath" dance.

Now my pretty jars sit and wait for the addicting pop! noise. I love that noise!




No comments:

Post a Comment